Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Choices. They are everywhere and they dictate our lives daily. Of course, we, as forward thinking human beings, like to make our own choices. They complicate and simplify our lives daily. They are the essential basis of our being. At some point as young children, we make our first choice and from then on, it's a drug addiction like no other.

I was watching House tonight and it kind of got my creative juices flowing. I got to thinking that every doctor we've ever went to looked at our symptoms and made a choice based on their education and previous experiences. They had no black or white answer since most illnesses share one or two symptoms with others. They guessed. Plain and simple.

Think about your choices. Shit, just think about what you've done today and look at EVERY SINGLE CHOICE YOU'VE MADE. Your life is one big choice. I could've slept in. I could've hit the gas instead of the brake. I could've told my boss to fuck himself. I could've had that Butterfinger instead of the Weight Watchers Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Bar (which was a good choice because that fucker was GOOD). I could've done this or that and MIGHT not have had such a different ending to my day.

See those with faith tend to say God has a plan for all of us. However, those without faith would say that we make our plan. Truth be known, both are right. God gives us a choice to follow His plan. If we choose not to, that's our business. I don't want to speak about religion today, but I wanted to throw that out there for any "but God has a plan for us" comments. Yes He does, but it's our choice to follow it.

So now that we've determined that we make choices all the time, here's the question that's really gonna fry your noodle...

Why do we make the choices we make?

Some would say it's our nature. Others would say it's our parental influence on our lives. Most, if not all, would say that it's a number of different ideas, experiences, morals, values, and feelings that dictate every choice we make. Truth be known, nobody really has a clue why we do the things we do. We just do them and expect to be happy with it until we make the wrong one and then we wish we would have done everything differently had we known then what we know now.

I didn't feel good about taking a job at Clear Channel. I'll be completely honest about it. However, I needed a job and desperately needed to run away from my Athens life. Then I thought about how I made the wrong choice only to be sitting here scared off my ass. Yesterday I interviewed for a job that I think is one of the few jobs I was built to do. Now I'm realizing that if this all works out, then I made the choice to come to Savannah because somehow it would lead me to bigger and better things.

However, if it doesn't work out, then I just suck at making choices.

Until next time kids.

Be safe.
1 Comments:
Blogger Michael said...
If you really want to know more about this, I suggest reading the book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell. He discusses just what you are asking about.