Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
So I "mysteriously" got to sample the tracks from the new Coldplay album X and Y. First of all, it's a great listen from start to finish. Nothing really sticks out as being a definitive song yet, but I have a feeling there will be one or two that will strike a chord with me and actually mean something much deeper.

Two tracks I would refer you guys to would be Track 4 "Fix You" and Track 7 "Speed of Sound." "Fix You" is beautifully written and sung in a style where you just know this guy's heart is breaking. I don't know how that dude from Coldplay does it while banging Gwyneth Paltrow, but damn, he sounds depressed a lot. He's a helluva song writer. "Speed of Sound" is just a fun listen, much like "Clocks" from their previous album. The track starts out slowly and boring to be honest, but once you get about 30 seconds into the tune, you realize it's a pretty damn good listen.

Bottom line: If you must pay for the CD, I'd say it's worth the money.

Earlier today I decided to post a list of songs to drink yourself to death by. Not to be too incredibly morbid, but when I think of a haunting song, one of the prerequisites is that I have to picture myself sitting in a room by myself with a half-full glass of straight whiskey. There will be the most blank look on my face as if I just can't figure out that theory of relativity thing and I'll be as emotional as a china plate in a lit case...beautifully fragile for those of you scoring at home.

So without wasting any more time, here is a current list of wondeful songs to drink yourself to death by:

1. What a Wonderful World -- Louis Armstrong
2. Fix You -- Coldplay
3. Hurt -- Johnny Cash
4. Whiskey Lullaby -- Brad Paisley feat. Alison Kraus
5. Some Devil -- Dave Matthews
6. Trouble -- Coldplay
7. Pay for What You Get -- Dave Matthews Band
8. My Way -- Frank Sinatra
9. Comfortable -- John Mayer
10. Halleluiah -- Jeff Buckley
11. Honey & The Moon -- Joseph Arthur
12. Wonderwall -- Oasis (I prefer the Ryan Adams version, though)
13. Still Crazy After All These Years -- Paul Simon
14. Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Tuesday's Gone
15. You Won't Be Mine -- Matchbox 20
16. Jimmy Buffett -- Come Monday
17. Counting Crows -- Long December
18. Fire and Rain -- James Taylor
19. Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone -- Bill Withers
20. Grandma's Hands -- Bill Withers
21. It's a Man's World -- James Brown
22. Colorblind -- Counting Crows
23. Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes -- Beck
24. I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You -- Colin Hay
25. Against All Odds -- Phil Collins
26. Crying -- Roy Orbison
27. Ebony and Ivory -- Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder (Just Kidding.)

*Late Addition: Waltzing With Sara(h) -- [NAME REDACTED] (sorry I forgot you)*

I'm sure there are tons more and I will admit the fatal flaw in my list is that it consists of well-known songs and well-known artists. I've found that some of the best songs to drink by are songs that no one else knows. Sorry for not including more random shit in there but that's why you read this blog, so you can come up with your own ideas. If I had a playlist of "gun barrel/whiskey bottle in your mouth" songs, it would have to include every single one of these tracks.

I'd encourage all of you to comment with your own musical choices because I'd love to see what else is out there that I could listen to myself and/or get a feel for what motivates your heartbreak. Besides, the free exchange of ideas is what blogging is all about. Well, not really, but for the purposes of this exercise, we'll say that's the case.

Until next time kids.

Be safe.
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
seek and ye shall find....ask,and ye shall recieve

Blogger Michael said...
I think the best break-up album is Fleetwood Mac Rumours.

Blogger galarza said...
songs to drink yourself to death to? "tuesday's gone" - lynard skynard, "ruby" - kenny rogers, "3 cigarettes in an ashtry" - patsy cline. there's one by david allen coe that's just plain sad, and makes you want to drink, but i can't remember the name.