Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Sunday, January 08, 2006
No, I'm not blogging about quite possibly my least favorite Dave Matthews Band song.

Tonight I watched the highly recommended movie Crash. Overall, I'd have to say that it was very well written with great acting and a cast that made sense. I know that seems like a pretty general statement, but the actors fit the characters quite nicely. I was particularly pleased with Ludacris' performance. Very solid movie. Worth the price of admission.

I've been thinking about this particular blog for the past two days. Even though I don't know if I'll have anything worthwhile to say, but I do know that it's been a very productive weekend and one of those weekends where you sit back and say "damn, I'm really lucky."

Friday night was pretty much uneventful. I got a disturbing call on Friday afternoon from The Girl's best friend (who I am good friends with) saying that things between The Girl and I were going to be put on hold for more important things. The "more important thing" was that The Girl tragically lost her brother on Thursday evening to a drug overdose. The first thing I could think of was how I have nothing to say to any of that. Since I barely know The Girl, there's nothing I could offer. Subsequently, since The Girl and I aren't close and we have a pending date, there's no way for me to offer condolences without coming across as the guy who is only being nice because he has an ulterior motive.

All in all, I will call The Girl late this upcoming week to offer my condolences but past that I won't bring anything up. I'm positive she won't answer the phone when I call so I'll let her know that sometimes when things like this happen everyone wants to be a support for said sad person to lean on. While this is a great thing (to have support), it sometimes becomes overbearing. So when she doesn't want to talk about her brother or how much she misses him, she can dial my number and we can debate politics or whatever. Sometimes talking to a "stranger" can be better than talking to your best friend. Hopefully I won't lose contact with her, but I hope she makes it through this whole thing OK.

Moving on...

I got a call from Amos on Friday evening saying that he was going to be in Athens on Saturday. At that point in time I realized that I'll be in Athens as well and so I made plans to make the impending fun as painless as possible on my wallet. So I won $150 playing poker. Then I cashed out $100. If things go as planned, I'll come out even once the money hits the bank.

Saturday was nice. I got in Athens and saw Amos, Jonathan, Jarrod, and the always beautiful Sarah Wilson. Drinking and fun times with old friends ensued and it was a blast all the way around. I also drunk dialed Stacy G. I think she enjoyed it. I give good phone.

I also saw a white kid run from the cops and then get his ass beat. Fun times.

I woke up at 09:00 on Sunday and met Gunner, Chief (or is it The Chief?), and The Diva at Star$$ (that's "bucks") at 10:00. Amos was supposed to be there at 10:00 as well, but apparently, he can't hang like he used to. He was there at 11:00.

We shared stories, I saw The Diva in action, and we all talked about how excited we are about the impending Mountain Trip. I get more and more excited about it day by day. Hush Chief. I get excited for reasons other than what you believe. That goes for you too Russ, Ln, and everyone else.

Basically, the update isn't as important as the message. This past weekend was a time when I just sat back and enjoyed life. I mean I had a great time all the way around. After seeing old friends, making a couple of new ones, and just having fun, I realized that I am probably one of the most blessed individuals out there. I have a lot to work to do in my personal life with minor things, but all in all, I'm very glad to be me and to have the wonderful people that surround me. I consistently find myself talking to people I admire and learning more from them by just listening to their take on things. I can't say it enough. I'm totally thankful for what I think I don't deserve.

(Many minutes pass)

I just got off the phone with the Song Writer. His ears must've been burning when I was talking about people I am lucky enough to know. Between Moutain Trip, Dad Trip, Nashville Trip, and Savannah Trip, I won't know what to do with myself or where else to go. It's a great problem to have.

Until next time kids.

Be safe.
4 Comments:
Blogger Stacy said...
Blessings don't have to be earned. That's why they are gifts. And trust me, you deserve them either way.

Your plan for when you talk to The Girl is excellent. Having been in a similar situation, I appreciated people asking me how my grass looked, how my dog was doing, what I had for breakfast, just about anything other than, "How are you?" no matter how random the questions were. She'll appreciate it more than you can EVER imagine.

Sorry I missed hanging out, but at least I didn't intervene on boy's night out. And I still don't like there being another Stacy G. in your life. jk...

I'm thinking about you and prayin for ya. Glad you had a great weekend! Love ya...

Blogger galarza said...
ludacris is in "crash"? i definately need to see that. he's not a bad actor.

-the other stacy g

Blogger Ludakit said...
Anyone hear that cat meowing?

I think they're gonna fight.

Blogger Staisha said...
First, i have to say i completely agree w/ your first sentence a/b that song...so true. And I have to agree w/ Stacy about you deserving every blessing you've received. You may not know it, but you leave footprints on everybody's hearts...you're definitely irreplaceable! And I have to thank you for the last comment you posted on my blog. It definitely spoke VOLUMES...and it still does; I refer back to it at times when i need some reinforcement. I don't know what you're doing in savannah, but if you have some free time, you should definitely call me!