Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Monday, December 04, 2006
Sorry for the long delay in posting. This blog should explain everything.

If you want to catch up all on Dawg related material, be sure to check out PWD, The King, Ching, and Dawgbone.net. This is Dawg related, but not like that.

On Saturday morning my Grandfather passed away. Everyone is fine and know that he is in a better place than he was 3 days ago. You don't really need to leave comments of condolences...like I said, everyone is fine with what has happened.

What I noticed though, was the connection between my Grandfather, my Father, and myself that I was aware of, but never really gave any attention to it. Today (Monday) at the funeral, both of the presiding preachers made reference to how my Grandfather loved Georgia Football, and more imortantly, how he loved to talk about it.

My Grandfather was a good man. Once a mayor of a small town in Central/South Georgia, once a member of the armed forces, and always a die hard Georgia fan. In fact, the closest I have ever been to my Grandfather is when he and I were talking about Georgia fFootball. It's the same closeness I share with my Father today.

When I was in Redcoats, I would call my Father after every game to talk about what was going well and what wasn't going so well. There were good calls in 2002 and 2003, and not so great ones from 1999 - 2001. Then, I would come home from college and finally have that "it" thing I needed to sit down with my Grandfather and level with him. We were never as close as I now wish we were, but we had Georgia Football, and that's OK with me.

Now I sit back and I think about what how Georgia Football has influenced my life in ways that I never thought it could. My Grandfather was a Dawg, thus making my Father a Dawg, thus forcing me to be a Dawg and eventually leading me to UGA. I got to UGA and found myself and friends that would become like family to me.

Common threads are the foundation of our relationships. In order to really truly become close to someone, you need that level ground where you can learn, share, and experience together. Something that creates that bond between Grandfather, Father, Son, Friend, etc. For me, I was lucky enough for that common thread to be Georgia Football.

I'm a huge Christmas nut. Gigantic. This season always reminds me to appreciate what I have and how blessed I am. Right now, I'm very appreciative that on Christmas morning I always had the opportunity to sit with my Grandfather and talk to him about how school and Georgia Football were going.

It's not only me, though. Recently I had the chance to meet PWD and Dawgnoxious. I've noticed that T. Kyle King references how he and his young son talk about Georgia Football. Two of my closest friends at work are huge UGA fans. Oob is way up north and she watches games at a place full of Dawg fans.

Yeah, Georgia Football is fun to watch, but to many it's so much more than that.

Don't forget the great people in your life this holiday season. Don't forget to appreciate what you have, but in doing so, please take a moment to remember how you got it. Georgia Football is what I would consider to be one of the "little things" in relation to what many would consider important, but I also know now that the "little things" can lead to much bigger ones.

Until next time kids.

Be safe.
5 Comments:
Blogger Bean said...
You're right, it is the little things. Personally, I don't care much about football, what happens during the game, or what the end result is. But I do care about all the friends I get to hang out with, catch up on gossip with, and laugh with throughout the game.

And even though you said it was unnecessary, I am truly sorry to hear about your grandpa. Even though it is sad to lose a loved one, it seems to bring families closer together in a way that nothing else can, and that's important.

Blogger Paige said...
First, necessary or not, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa.

I agree with the rest of your post. It is the little things. I made some very good friends when at UGA. They are still very important in my life. I am thankful everyday for the little things that bring us together.

Blogger Dave said...
Very cool post... thanks for sharing this.

Blogger Moose-Tipping said...
What a cool thing to experience, and doubly so with the Redcoat family as well. Not only we will always be "once a Dawg, always a Dawg", we will be "nothin' finer in the land". Many, MANY of my fondest memories include UGA football and/or Redcoats and/or friends that I met through both of those wonderful things.

Blogger Stacy said...
"Never forget the little things in life because they are the keys that open doors to moments that last a lifetime." My Daddy wrote that in a card one time...profound, I know, but that's just how he was, and I never forgot it. Death is a great reminder that helps you appreciate the little things more. I wish that the lessons and wisdom that come with grief resonated a little longer, but they don't. Either way, I'm PROUD of you post and thank you for helping us all to remember to appreciate those around us...I apologize for not acknowledging your Grandfather's death sooner - I didn't check into your blog until today, but I just want you to know that I think you're awesome and I admire your strength! Thanks for sharing....and Go Dawgs!