Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Saturday, January 06, 2007
I had every intention to sleep in today. And I don't mean sleeping in like "Hey I'm going to sleep until 10:00 AM." I mean "I'm going to sleep until I can't sleep any more. In fact, after traveling every weekend since the 3rd one in November, I'm going to sleep until I can't tell if I'm dreaming or awake."

But the Dawgs played Florida today at 12:00.

I should've stayed in bed.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am at our basketball team. The problem is I don't see it being a problem with coaching. Our inside game has improved leaps and bounds over last year, we're scoring more points, and our defense is still pretty good. However, what I keep seeing time and time again is our players running around on the court looking lost. No one understands their role.

For instance, we have a 7' tall behemoth in Singletary. Do you think he's playing like the tallest bastard on the court? NO. He gets the ball and instantly looks for someone to give it back to. Our guys need to fill the roles their in and do the job they have been given scholarships to do.

In fact, there are only two players on this team right now who I think are contributing on an appropriate level. Those two are Gaines and T. Brown. Takais Brown has really impressed me with his ability to score from everywhere within 10' of the basket, his ability to block shots, and his inside presence with rebounding. Sundiata Gaines has been a constant contributor since he arrived at UGA, so no surprise there.

We've got guys like Mercer, Bliss, Humphrey, and Woodbury who are hit or miss. Mercer was on fire the first 9 games of the year. Since then he's tapered off. The other guys are the same. Bliss is sometimes physical inside. At others, he's drawing stupid fouls and looking lost in space. Woodbury has come on late, but neglects to find ways of getting open. Humphrey is beyond me because last year he was a force and he even had a good game today against Florida.

Our team has got to spend some Disney-movie quality time learning to gel or we won't even come close to 7-9 or 8-8 in SEC play. They have got to find an identity and stick with it.

The good news is I don't see Florida repeating this year as national champions. Noah has never really impressed me, and if you've ever watched him shoot a foul shot, you'd realize that he's worthless beyond arm's reach of the basket. Plus, he's so damn ugly it's painful to watch him play just like it's painful to watch Dirk "Caveman" Novisithishtsiekehsid play. He's a good basketball player, but does anyone else think he should be in the next Geico commercial?




You be the judge.


Until next time kids.

Be safe.
1 Comments:
Blogger Matt T said...
Newman plays his ass off too. He's got a great motor.

I only caught the second half of the game and was very frustrated also. The talent is there, but they still make dumb mistakes. They got hosed on quite a few calls too.

That being said, don't compare that hideous gator to the wonderful Dirk.

Dirk can ball. Noah is an arrogant prick.