Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Sunday, January 07, 2007
I didn't foresee myself posting again so soon (i.e. two days in a row -- over a WEEKEND), but my brain just got hit with a post, so I wanted to get it out before I forgot.

I wanted to let everyone who reads the crap I write what to expect from this site going into the new year. Residential site girl Keira Knightley still brings the most readers to my corner of the internet, so I felt it necessary to give all the new people an idea of what you'll be reading up until kickoff of the 2007 season.


Any mention of the site girl must come with a picture, of course. Photo from UKhotmovies.co.uk.

As you can see from the previous post, I'm a fan of UGA basketball unlike some other bloggers. While the last thing I want to do is get into a debate with The King, I WILL NOT cover anything to do with the Gym Dogs, excluding passing along the nugget of when we win another national title. The truth is (and bring on the heat for this), I do not list gymnastics as a sport. I'll briefly tell you why.

I have listed (generally) a sport as any athletic competition that is won or lost by points that are black/white. You either did it or you didn't. "Pretty" doesn't count in sports, but "winning ugly" does. Essentially what this does is eliminate the human element. In baseball, for instance, you either crossed home plate or you didn't. It doesn't matter how pretty you ran; did you cross home plate? I understand this will open up the "well what if the umpire blows the call?" Yes, I have thought about this and you can nit pick details like that, but honestly, either you cross the plate or you don't. A blown call is an unfortunate case of human error, but the system it is based upon is without fail. You either did or you didn't.

In gymnastics, swimming, cheerleading, etc. there are a panel of people who decide how well you did. There is no black and white, and "pretty" absolutely counts. When you incorporate a system to which human interpretation plays a factor in winning or losing, then it loses its sport status and moves into being an "artistic athletic competition." The Gym Dogs cannot win ugly. It doesn't exist, so therefore it's not a sport.

Plus, I've been to a Gym Dogs meet and apparently booing is unacceptable. In a word, that sucks. If I can't "boo" my rival no matter what happens, then that is a "sport" I'm not willing to follow. It is what it is.

So now that I've opened that can of worms, here's what you can expect from me going forward.

1. Commentary and news on the (football) Dawgs. An example would be UGA's recent hiring of Stacey Searels. In a later post, I will explain how great of a hire this is, but the 10 peso version is that he's a good man (won the NCAA Award of Valor), a good recruiter, and a helluva coach. Just look what LSU has done with their O-line over the last few years and you'll know what I'm talking about. In my opinion, he might already be a better hire than Neil Calloway was, just by resume alone, but we'll see how this works out.

Also expect recruiting updates and coverage on the spring game. I have learned recently that the college football season never ends.

2. I will cover Dawgs Basketball as much as I can, but I will rarely cover any other team unless what they do relates to the Dawgs. Basically, I'm a home team guy and I plan on staying that way.

3. Any news relevant to college football, such as the Saban hiring. Sometimes I will comment on stuff that directly impacts UGA and sometimes I won't. This is a blog related to the Dawgs, but I think everyone that reads this appreciates college football in general.

4. I tend to be a little opinionated (oops), so you should expect any kind of commentary on something that I feel strongly about. In the past I've written about Terri Shiavo, the Iraq War, and voiced my opinion on politics. If I feel the need, I'll do it again.

5. Any tidbits about my personal life that I feel the need to throw in there just for shits and giggles. Sometimes, I just wanna talk about "me," people.


So, now you know.



Until next time kids.

Be safe.
6 Comments:
Blogger Paige said...
I'll go ahead and tell you that I won't be reading any of the basketball posts. Sorry, hate it. I'll read any and all football related posts though. Even baseball if you decide to write about it. Sorry to hear there won't be any Gym Dawgs. Even though I don't watch or go looking for news of them I like to come across how they are doing. LOL

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well done Kit, well done.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Boxing is judged by people, and it is most certainly a sport.
-nbh

Blogger Bean said...
Just for the record.... swimming is definitely a sport. You either win the race or you lose it, and you earn points for your team if you win the race. However, synchronized swimming is another story.

Blogger galarza said...
aha! the bean beat me to it! isnt swimming based on best time? now if youre talking about diving... that's winning 'pretty' or 'ugly'.

what about 'sports' where points are given based on required elements - aha...a whole different debate. but i doubt youre going to go into a figure skating post any time soon.

Blogger Mr. Oubre said...
I like ham.

Competitive cheerleading- now THAT'S a sport. HA!