Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Monday, September 10, 2007
Today is Tuesday, Sept. 11.

I'm not saying that it’s any different than Wednesday, Sept. 11, but in 2001, the attack happened on a Tuesday. Kind of strange how things come full circle and you realize how much has really changed.

I consider myself a patriotic person. I love the country I live in and even though I rarely agree with any politician in Washington, I am grateful for the work that has been accomplished in years past to give me the opportunities and freedoms I live with today. Many good people have lost their lives battling the bad people that are jealous/envious/angry at what we have. I appreciate that and I hope you do as well.

Today, in honor of that, I present to you a sobering view of what Tuesday September 11, 2001 was like for me.



The Ten Things I Remember from Sept. 11, 2001:

10. Waking up to a knock on my bedroom door, with Jud on the other end saying, “Dude, you need to get up. The country’s under attack.”

9. Seeing the look on my roommate’s faces as we watched the towers go down.

8. Worrying about my Mom, who was locked down at Warner Robins AFB and had no way to communicate with me.

7. Feeling more helpless than I ever have felt.

6. Feeling more angry than I ever have felt.

5. Watching news anchors be afraid of the bad news they were giving.

4. Seeing George W. Bush, our leader and President, cry while giving a speech.

3. Realizing that “secret underground bunkers” really do exist and that our leadership felt like we needed to put our President in one.

2. Knowing that if I was in one of those towers, I could’ve easily been one of those people that jumped out of fear.

1. Hearing my Dad tell me over the phone, “If things get any worse, pack enough clothes to survive a week and meet us at the spring lake. We can cook there, wash ourselves, and survive on the land until things calm down. I love you and everything’s going to be ok.”



Please take the time today to remember how lucky we have it. I rant and complain about a lot of things and I know I take a lot of things for granted on a daily basis, but I hope to never confuse minor inconveniences for actual problems. The truth is we all have it really good and I love our spirit of always trying to make it better.

One thing I meant to ask last week and forgot was that I strongly encourage you to put your list in the comments section. Not only this Tuesday, but every Tuesday. However, instead of just encouraging, I'm actually going to ask you to do that this week. Sept. 11, 2001 was so important that every American remembers what they were doing and how they felt when they heard the news. I think it's critical to never forget that and to remind each other about it.

Looking forward to what you have to say.


Until next time kids.

Be safe.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Paige said...
10. I remember my principal coming over the intercom to tell us to check our email (I taught 3rd grade at the time).

9. Fear.

8. Anger.

7. Strength....my own. I had to be strong for my 3rd graders. Not let them know something was terribly wrong in our world.

6. Hearing the military jets flying over Atlanta with no other planes flying. Very eerie.

5. Paralyzing fear when I couldn't get in touch with my mom or brother.(Neither were anywhere near NY or Washington, but it didn't matter it was an irrational fear)

4. Finally talking to my mom and her telling me to pack my stuff and go to my uncle's house in S. GA so if anything else happened and things got worse we could survive with just necessities (much like your dad).

3. Talking to my dad and him being clueless. He worked outside and didn't have a radio. No one had called him. He had noticed that there were no planes flying overhead, but didn't think much about it. He was no comfort at all since he didn't realize the extent of what was happening.

2. Trying to figure out where to go from there. How did I approach my 3rd graders. How did I make them feel safe when I did not?

1. Wanting to talk to my ex-boyfriend. I loved him and this made it all the more clear what was important in life. We are now married with 2 beautiful children.

That day will forever be burned into my memory. I have never felt like that. It was the most difficult day in my life. I did not know anyone who lost their life or loved one, but it had a profound affect on me. It's very hard to explain. I'm sure there are many people who feel that way though. To this day it is hard for me to put it all into words. I feel like I ramble on and on. One day I hope to be able to get it down coherently so I can explain it to my kids.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
1. I'd stayed up all night finishing an LAR project that I turned in at 8am.

2. Friends waking me up in my dorm room and frantically turning on CNN.

3. The phone calls to and from family members.

4. How quiet the dining hall was at lunch. Bolton was packed but you could hear a pin drop in there.

5. Shock.

6. Disgust.

7. Confusion.

8. Anger.

9. How little my stupid project seemed.

10. Wondering if there was going to be a draft when we inevitably kicked the door in on the country we deemed responsible.

Blogger The Baffled King said...
10. Turning off CNN so my 7th graders didn't see what was going on.
9. Locking down the school
8. Rushing home to sit on the couch and just stare at the TV till early in the morning
7. Wondering if there would be a draft, and where would I sign up.
6. Trying to get a hold of family in NYC.
5. Fear, real fear for our country for the first time in my life
4. Call from my principal late at night to tell me he needed me there early the next day
3. Pretending nothing was wrong the next day.
2. Watching the entire U.S. congress sing on the capitol steps.
1. Trying to stop watching TV and picking up a book that had "In Flanders Field" in it.

Blogger Ally said...
10. Sitting on a grounded Delta airplane at Benito Juarez airport in Mexico City.
9. Being evacuated from the plane an hour later with no explanation. They attendants were hurrying and panicked.
8. Hearing cell phones EVERYWHERE going off constantly and simultaneously.
7. Wondering what the hell was going on, while people around me were rushing to get to televisions. Realizing quickly that I should've studied Spanish instead of French.
6. In the Delta lounge watching MSNBC - Katie Couric and Matt Lauer explaining to me that my country was under attack.
5. Hearing from my boss that I needed to get to the American Embassy quick.
4. Watching the footage of President Bush being told of the planes hitting the WTC by his advisors while reading to elementary school children.
3. Trying desperately to call my family and let them know I was okay - wanting desperately to know if they were okay.
2. Learning that I was going to be stuck in Mexico for several days until it was safe to fly and cross the border. Never felt so alone & scared in my life.
1. Late that night when room service arrived: The gentleman attendant didn't speak much english, but he looked at me, smiled through tears and said "May God Bless America!"

As long as I live, I'll never forget that simple gesture of empathy between 2 strangers of different languages, cultures, and countries.