Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Sunday, October 07, 2007
This post has no title because it is about the game of which we do not speak. There are no words to describe a loss like that as a fan. As an opposing fan you could use the terms: woodshed, ass-kicking, drubbing, domination, etc.

I don't want to talk about the game. I don't have any inclination to talk about how utterly and completely wrong I was, but not because I was wrong, but because I could have been right had our team actually got on the bus leaving Athens.

I'm not one of those people that see my team lose and then scream for someone's head. I'm still on the fence about whether or not our Defensive coach is wrong, or whether or players are still not buying into said Defensive Coach's system. Richt said post-game that some personnel had to be changed on both sides of the ball because of players not executing. I can see that. I can see how CMR, CWM, or CMB really can't be blamed for poor tackling, poor blocking, offensive stagnation, and a complete loss of fundamentals.

However, The King nailed it in his "recap" of sorts and I believe I nailed it last year in a diary I posted on King's site. Here's what I figure is the most important excerpt from what I posted up in that diary:

Bluntly put, I just think we're not playing with heart.

I have said time and time again that I admire college football for the
pure fact that most of its participants will not make it to the NFL and they
play for the love of playing the game. Heart is what turns young men into men and then takes those men and transforms them into heroes. Heart is what wins championships. Heart brings you from behind in the 4th Quarter. Heart is what you play with at home to give the Number 10 team in the nation a scare when no one expected you to even show up for the game.

Our team has no heart. Currently it has no rallying force. Last year we
played for D.J. The year before we played for the Davids. The year before that, we played because no one expected us to.



Plain and simple, we need to find a spark because right now, we don't have it.

Is it possible that Jeff Schultz got it right? Do our coaches not have enough fire to get the job done? I've read a lot of what that guy's written over the past year and I have to say that nine times out of ten, he's flirting with being right. You may not like what he says or even agree with it, but there are grains of truth in every article. Is that one article the exception to the rule or was it more of the "well, he's got a point?"

Right now, I don't see a single blogger flat out calling for CWM's head. That's good, but the night's not over yet and I haven't checked them all. No one has made as good a decision as PWD, who posted a "we're not going there right now" article and then cut off his comments.

I don't believe we as fans have the right to call for someone's head on a platter after each and every loss. However, we as fans who support our team even in it's times of strife and mediocrity deserve answers to why things went wrong after a flat-out embarrassing loss like that. I'm not saying our players didn't try hard. I'm not saying that they're enjoying feeling as embarrassed as they should. All I'm saying is that when something is not working, and consistently not working IN EVERY GAME, why must we have "youth" as an excuse shoved down our throats?

We weren't young in 2005 and we weren't young in 2006. However, our Defense has given up more than they have in previous years. Why is that? I know Mark Richt is a good man who never wants to kick an employee out the door (see: Neil Calloway), but football is a game, and at Georgia it's about winning said game.

You don't grow "heart." You're either born with it or not. "Youth" does not equate to "no desire to win."

I'm tired of this "we're a second half team" bullshit, because it is exactly that...bullshit. If you can't play 60 minutes of football, don't put on the uniform. Also, if you can't coach 60 minutes of football, don't put on the headset.

I'm so frustrated right now I don't know what to do with myself. But I do know that if we don't get mean, ruin someone else's season, hurt someone's feelings, get nasty, get some swagger, embarrass someone else, and flat-out be feared by other teams from here on out, some changes need to be made. Plain and simple.

We need a heart surgeon worse than Seattle Grace.


Until next time kids.

Be safe.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Russell said...
Respectfully...A lack of heart does not equal an absence of fundamentals.

We were not prepared for the this game.

Blogger Ally said...
I agree with Russell.

I think the problem is WAY worse than a lack of heart.

You're right, we don't have heart, but that's not why we had our asses handed to us on a silver platter by the end of the first half Saturday. Sorry.

Heart is the band-aid that got us through the last few games of last season. Heart won't make up for a way-too predictable offensive game plan. Heart won't make up for the fact that our kids don't freakin' tackle. Heart won't make us catch an overthrown ball. Heart isn't the answer when things are THIS bad.

I guess you haven't checked my blog lately; I called for CWM's head after Western Carolina. I don't feel bad about it. I've had it! And, quite frankly, I'm sick of fans dancing around this issue. It's not about wanting him in the unemployment line, it's about being results oriented - and he's not producing winning results in our conference. Period. We cannot blame the players when they're just running the crappy scheme they're given.

I mean, seriously, who's fault is it when we run THE SAME STUPID SCHEME we did last year against UT? The players? When is enough, enough?

We are no longer competitive. We are no longer feared. We no longer occupy a seat at the SEC table. We are, however, the bottom feeders of the East - no question.

I never thought I would see the day when we would be 0-6 in the SEC East during the Mark Richt era. Never.

Go Dawgs. PLEASE.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I dont know what to say. This is a good post. I am not happy with CWM, but I love CMR and hope he can get it together. Ally makes an excellent point that we are not feared anymore. We are the laughing stock on the East and Vandy is probably licking their chops this week! GO DAWGS!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I might take some flack for this one but I think we have to reevaluate CMR as well although i think CWM should be the first to go if you go back and look at the failures of recruiting expecially on defense under a post-vangorder CMR team the type of players on defense is just not there anymore hell even pollok, bailey, blue, ect were not recruited by CMR. Not to mention the fact that even with CMR calling the shots on offense we were never that impressive we kicked ass in the SEC because of a hell of a defense under vangorder.