Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Real quick, I wanted to throw a couple of site updates out there before I talk about Aaron Murray:

1)  Recently I was contacted by Chris F. at Bleacher Report to syndicate the blog out to their site.  After a quick import of some code into this blog's template, the syndication was done and I have been nothing but pleased.  Right now Bleacher Report is not heavy on the College Football section, but it's growing and I'm very pleased to be a part of that.  If you get the chance, head on over and check it out.  It's a sports blogger's wet dream.  

2)  Also, for those reading this at Bleacher Report, I'm trying to find a way to make the site import a little more seamlessly where it doesn't look like one paragraph.  I'll probably have to post and then go in and manually edit, but nevertheless, it will get fixed.

3)  Finally, sorry for the lack of updates.  I know I'm usually better about writing, but work's been crazy lately.  However should calm down soon.  Expect more from me after this week.  

Now, on to Aaron Murray.

As most of you know, Aaron Murray, the blue chip QB from Plant HS in Tampa, FL is set to announce his college decision tomorrow at 11 AM.  Seriously, I haven't seen this much hype/coverage over a decision in quite a long time.  Stafford was of course a heralded recruit, but I'm not sure the hype around his decision was as big.  Not because he didn't deserve it, but I think the recruiting landscape has changed so much in just the three years since he announced that it's just a different (and much larger) animal now.

Most of the recruiting gurus list Murray as somewhere between 50 - 75% UGA over Florida and UCLA.  I don't know if it's as high as 75%, but I know we have a great chance based on recent comments from Murray.

Now, he's set to announce tomorrow at 11:00, so this may be a worthless post in less than 24 hours, but here's my question to everyone about this specific recruit and where UGA football is heading:

Since Aaron Murray is a mobile QB (not Logan Gray mobile, but mobile nonetheless), are we seeing a change in UGA's offensive philosophy?

Now, before you think I'm totally off my rocker here, here's the facts:

1)  Right now, the QB of the future appears to be Logan Gray, who has wheels for days.  The kid can throw the ball and can run like his life depends on it.

2)  Aside from Zach Mettenberger, who more resembles Stafford, Aaron Murray is right now being touted as the "QB of the future's future" within the UGA offense if he commits to us.  He's quite the mobile kid, and throws VERY well on the run.  On top of that, he's got Stafford-type smarts of understanding an offense and checking into the right play.

So, is the Mark Richt/Mike Bobo regime trying to speed up the pace of UGA's offense?  I think they are.  Bobo seems to be much more aggressive than Richt was when he was calling plays.  That's not to say Richt was never aggressive, but it's always been my opinion that Richt was holding back a little bit because he had so many duties to watch over while being the HC and OC.  Now that Bobo has taken that strain off of him, has Richt decided to go ahead and run with Bobo's assertion that speed kills?  

Nevertheless, tomorrow's announcement may be an indication of the changing of the guard at UGA.  We used to rely VERY heavily on the play action, and we will still do that, but I think things are going to change and change sooner than we thought.  If Murray doesn't choose us tomorrow, the focus will then shift to Eugene Smith, who is sickeningly mobile.  If you think Logan Gray is fast, this kid is NUTS.  My initial comparison would be that he's Pat White, but actually can pass.

So, no matter what happens tomorrow, I think you're going to see our coaches' vision of the future of the program based on the next QB that signs with us.  We seemingly want to go with a guy who's more mobile, while still being smart enough to run the offense from the field.  

I'd really like to know y'all's thoughts on this.  I think I'm on to something here, but I might be way off base.  What do you think?



Until next time kids. 

Be safe.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
I agree that they like having a QB that can run, we did have Shockley a couple years ago and that was still when Richt was calling the plays.

I don't think they are only looking for that kind of QB though. We were heavily involved in the recruitment of Tom Savage, who is def a drop back passer. And like you said, Mett is on board as well.