Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
No fancy openings, let's get going.

Word is that Walter Hill has broke his hand or wrist (it still wasn't clear as of this writing). The estimated time table for his return could be about 4-6 weeks, which isn't too terribly bad if it's a hand break.  Either way, it sucks to have a guy go down for an extended period of time. Especially one that can jump like Hill.  He's a go-up-and-get-it kind of guy.

MoMass is apparently showing out at practice.  Everything I've read says he is as smooth as silk, sharper than a tack and coaching up the young'uns.  I've been a huge fan of MoMass even in 2006 when he couldn't catch a cold.  I could really see him stepping up and having a great year and being a steal in the NFL draft, a la Reggie Brown.

For those that are worried about this O-line, I say "hold on for a second."  We're healthy up front and from Richt's various quotes to the media, I think we're going to be pretty solid up front.  We do need some road graders something fierce and while we have the physical tools, I think we're one solid mean streak away from being truly dominant.  If energy is infectious, then Ben Jones might provide us that boost whether he plays or not.  That kid is a firecracker.

In my opinion, pay no mind to the talk of Richard Samuel vying for the number 2 tailback spot behind Caleb King.  I think it's a motivational ploy by Richt to get Caleb in the right frame of mind.  I'm of the mindset that Caleb has all the tools but maybe not the swagger he needs to be as effective as he can be and Richt is trying to light a fire.  I would be severely surprised if Richt flat out gave the No. 2 spot to Samuel.  The blocking thing is a huge deal for Richt and it would blow me away if Samuel has all of that down to a science after 8 months on campus.

For those of you who are missing David Ching, Sanford Knows Best (a blog run by the UGA sports writers for the Red and Black) is doing a SUPERB job of covering practices and gathering tidbits. In fact, they got a quote from Brian Mimbs that Logan Gray is taking turns at punt returner right now.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Will he actually do it?  I highly doubt it because the risk of injury is SO HIGH, but I think it might fuel some of the speculation that Logan might be used in some special packages this year.  His speed is greater than Shockley's I've heard, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him in some wrinkles this year.

*On a side note, seriously, you need to read Sanford Knows Best.  It's a damn good site.*

Finally, there should be an upcoming interview with Rob Suggs, the author of "Top Dawg: Mark Richt and the Revival of Georgia Football."  The interview is complete and I'm just cleaning up the post before I unleash it to the masses for them to ogle over.  I tried to ask some non-traditional questions and beens that it's my first interview, I hope it doesn't suck.  If it does, don't tell me or you might not win the complimentary copy of the book that I'll be giving away on the site shortly thereafter.  Also, I marched with his niece in Redcoats and she'll kick your ass in a heartbeat for throwing a diss at the Dawg-gone Blog and her uncle who is better-than-your-uncle-because-hers-wrote-a-book.  Seriously, she carries a gun.*

I think that's going to be it for me right now.  Still writing at the bar and thankfully, the Mac catches all my spelling errors ahead of time.  If it didn't then you'd notice the third Jack & Coke is talking right now and not me.



Until next time kids.

Be safe.

*She actually doesn't carry a gun, but if she did, would you really be surprised that anyone in Georgia does?

Labels: , , ,