Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Sunday, November 02, 2008
Seriously, we're not going to discuss what happened on Saturday, but we're going to talk about what has happened and continues to happen within our team, especially in big games.

Let's go ahead and clear the air by saying that 1) Florida has earned the right to gloat as much as possible, 2) Urban Meyer is a classless a-hole and 3) I believe I team WANTS to win games like this. 

However, our team is lacking something, but not just something like pressure on the front line, or complicated enough blitz packages to adequately force the turnovers we need in order to achieve the success we've seen as little as 3 years ago.

This is not a rant about "heart." We have plenty of desire to win every game we play. I can see that within our players. They want to win as badly as we want them to win. I know it must've killed them yesterday to experience the total domination that was the second half of that game.

This is a rant, though about our aggressiveness, our nasty streak, our ability to embarrass opponents and our swagger. We have NONE of those things above right now and haven't had it all year, especially on the Defensive side of the ball. It's a shame to say it, but gone are the days of Junkyard Dawg-dom and who know when, or if, they'll ever come back.

I love UGA and UGA sports just as much, or more, than most people out there. Hell, I've spent three and a half years writing about it for free. You would think that I care just a little bit about what's going on, and at the same time, have managed to keep some objectivity along the way.

But I can't take this anymore. I miss the "Lips Jar." The jar created by Brian Van Gorder for opposing players' paper lips (or maybe even entire heads) to be placed in after a large hit. I miss the headhunters of Greg Blue and Thomas Davis. I miss the motor of David Pollack and the determination of Charles Grant. I miss the speed and tenacity of Odell Thurman.

What I miss is someone on that sideline who turns the players we have on the field literally sweating talent, into players like the ones mentioned above. You can scream about leadership in that locker room all you want, but it starts and ends with the coaches.

For the life of me, I could never see a situation where I would want Mark Richt fired. I'm not the guy that is screaming for his head. However, some of the things we're seeing right now need to be fixed and fixed quickly. Now while a good portion of the Dawg Nation has called for the head of Willie Martinez, I have held off.

I'm breaking that silence now.

In order to go to the next level, we've got to stop just playing Defense and begin playing Dawg Defense. We need a fire, an aggressiveness and an attitude that is only found in some of the top Defenses across the nation. I need an Erk to come to UGA and have some Dawgs ready to take heads off, protect the middle and go crazy at the sign of a big hit.

I need a Defense that makes Offenses tremble. While I believe most of the problems are on the Defense, I also need an Offense that scares Defenses with touchdowns instead of field goals. I need an attitude that we had last year, but have yet to see this year.

Somewhere along the lines, it appears that we believed our own hype. That our talent alone would somehow get us to the SEC Championship this year. Well guess what, our preseason #1 ranking hasn't won us a damn thing other than some excellent TV coverage so that we can get our butts kicked in front of a national TV audience.

Look, I'm not asking for heads to roll, but I'm asking for something, ANYTHING, to put the actual fire into the red and fear into the black that we don for games. I don't care how it happens, but we're a long cry from Willie Martinez jumping into the arms of Dannell Ellerbe after an interception against Hawai'i. 

Please get aggressive, please be feared and please do not take a business-like approach to preparing for Kentucky. The quotes after our loss to Florida are a joke. I don't want you to cry, but I certainly want you to be less like you were after getting your ass whipped, and more like you should be feeling when you're ready to fight back. 

Now's the time to get mean. I'm ready when you are.

Labels:

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Kit, I agree with you 100% man. We're not going anywhere beyond 10-2 seasons by getting our a$$ handed to us once or twice a year.

Blogger Russell said...
Welcome to the Fire Willie Martinez club; we're glad you're here. But I don't think yesterday was a good line item to add to the FWM resume.

Yesterday wasn't about the defense. The offense plus the onside kick put the defense in a bind Copperfield or Teller couldn't have gotten out of. We've seen this out of Bobo before. Trickeration.

We like to get tricky when we think our normal approach of being better athletes won't work.

I can't help but wonder how yesterday would have been different if our o-line had stayed healthy.

Final thoughts; it's always better to be a losing Dawg than a winning Gator. I love that CMR is our coach and I hope he's here for 20 more years.

Just because we didn't get to the MNCG when the "pundits" thought we might isn't a reason to think negatively on our season. We still have the potential for a 10 and 2 season and that is some thing most colleges would love to have.

Let's get ready for the Cats and put this loss behind us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Urban should have taken several knees to keep the score down.
What a classless asshole.

Blogger Mackie said...
Yep, I've had my fill of coach Willie too. Defenses are meant to be coached by wild-eyed, intimidating, nut jobs. We do not have that kind of person in CWM.

Blogger the tri guy said...
We had a good thing for a while, I miss BVG more every year. If only he and RG could have coexisted.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Grrr

This is my MEAN face. As said by Pollack, "play like your on fire!"

There is no doubt that Curran, and Allen could be better that the great that they are if they were motivated to "take lives"

HUNKER IT DOWN ONE MORE TIME!