Collage 3
The Dawg-gone Blog
Official Sponsor of "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" Since 1981
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
You know, sometimes things are better left being said. 

That's not how the actual phrase is supposed to go, but I think sometimes the above statement is true. I'm having a bit of a rambling moment here, but I spent some time tonight watching Bulldog videos like the one currently posted at the Georgia Sports Blog and I got to thinking about how much I would be missing if I never got to hear the play calling placed with the actual play.  

I've talked before about how much I like and respect Uncle Verne and I think it goes without saying that I have a super soft spot for Larry Munson. I mean, hell, I've only spent what probably amounts to days (in total hours) putting those Munson Mixes together. 

When I listen to Larry Munson, Scott Howard or Uncle Verne do the talking, it really reinforces my love for UGA. I don't know how or why that is, but man, it always sends a chill down my spine and peppers me with goosebumps. 

I was getting ready for work the other morning and wondered for a minute what "Howard Mixes" would sound like when Larry finally retires. Then I got to thinking about how old Larry actually is and how this year may be his last overall. I have a friend that says "change is the greatest tradition." When Larry's microphone finally changes to being permanently "off," I will hurt that day. I'll hurt something fierce.

You know, sometimes we get so caught up in the moment that we forget to think about how good we really have it. That can be said in many aspects of life, but it is ultimately true in regards to UGA football. The honest truth from my mouth to God's ears is that while I love waking up to the notes of Battle Hymn, I love going to bed as a Bulldog on a Saturday night more. While I love whipping Florida's ass in Jacksonville, I love seeing old friends and teeing it up between the hedges more.  And while I love championships and glory, hearing about it through the voice of Larry Munson makes me love it more. 

So Dawg fans, do me a favor this weekend by cutting on your radio and getting the picture with a legend. Spend some time with the Almighty Announcer. Besides, who is going to put into words what we're feeling better than the person who drove us to feel that way in the first place?


Until next time kids

Be safe.

Labels: , ,